Group: Morningstar’s Research group provides independent analysis on individual securities, funds, markets, and portfolios. The Research group also provides data on hundreds of thousands of investment offerings, including stocks, mutual funds, and similar vehicles, along with real-time global market data on millions of equities, indexes, futures, options, commodities, and precious metals, in addition to foreign exchange and Treasury markets. Morningstar is one of the largest independent sources of fund, equity, and credit data and research in the world, and our advocacy for investors’ interests is the foundation of our company.
The Role: Our Equity Research team requires an experienced equity analyst to cover European stocks, primarily focusing on a select group of companies in the consumer sector. Performing fundamental analysis within our well-defined research framework, the role holder will write research reports and determine fair values on a select group of stocks. He or she will also be accountable for pitching investment ideas internally and externally in accordance with Morningstar’s methodology. This position is based in our Amsterdam office.
- Research, analyze, and estimate fair values for about 20 companies within the consumer sector, focused on Retail-Defensive and Ingredients industries.
- Build detailed discounted cash flow models for each covered firm, focusing on the key drivers of the business and incorporating scenario analysis.
- Regularly publish reports and in-depth research pieces, including the qualitative and quantitative analyses of the Economic Moats, on coverage companies and industries.
- Develop relationships with coverage companies and industry participants to enhance research and build brand.
- Show a constant interest in pushing Morningstar’s research methodology and business forward.
- Proactively surface attractive investment ideas internally and externally to support all products and clients.
- Coordinate with global sector teams regarding content, methodology, etc.
- Act with independence and an investors first attitude at all times.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in a finance or accounting; a CFA designation and/or MBA is preferred.
- Three to five years of experience in sell side or buy side equity research (or investment banking); consumer sector or relevant expertise preferred.
- Fluent in English; superior ability to communicate, both written and orally, with public company executives and institutional investors. Proficiency in another European language is a plus
- Ability to make decisions under tight deadlines, at times with incomplete information.
- Posses independence, critical thinking skills, and a passion for investing, with a bias toward long-term fundamental research and investing.
- Sound financial modeling skills and knowledge of business valuation techniques.
- Work well within a team and be capable of respectfully accepting and providing constructive feedback.