Senior Equity Analyst (global markets)
Hargreaves Lansdown Fund Managers is part of the Hargreaves Lansdown group, a FTSE100 employer with a leading position in the UK’s retail investment markets and voted the most admired UK company in the UK financial services sector. Our Investments business manages a range of direct equity and multi-manager funds, with over £9bn of client assets invested in our HL fund ranges.
As part of the planned growth of our direct equity funds business, HL Select, we are seeking an experienced Equity Analyst with strong track records in the fields of global equity markets and/or global sustainable equity investing. Candidates should be qualified to CFA Part II or beyond. We are particularly interested in hearing from candidates who are knowledgeable across a broad range of sectors and geographies.
The successful candidate will be tasked with generating a flow of investment ideas for our fund management team, monitoring existing and proposed investments and participating in our broader investment process. Excellent communication skills are a pre-requisite, and candidates should be confident, self-motivated and comfortable with working both within a team environment and independently.
The role will be Bristol-based in our Investment department and a fully competitive salary and benefits package will be offered.
It is anticipated that the majority of invested stocks will be sourced from developed markets, but we are content with having EM exposures alongside these.
The global equity team will be compact, operating alongside the UK team, and sharing of ideas is strongly encouraged.
A Senior Analyst, working predominantly on the global equity fund(s) will need to show the following capabilities:
- Extensive knowledge of mid and large cap stocks over more than a single geographic market or industrial sector
- A selection style compatible with the HL Select focus on quality and financial strength
- Nil to minimal use of technical analysis
- The ability to filter markets to narrow the investible universe to a manageable scale
- Strong numeric and written communications skills, along with an ability to engage and influence colleagues in order to promote conviction ideas into portfolios
- Extensive experience of covering markets through a variety of trading conditions
- En route to CFA Charterholder, or similar qualification (e.g. ASIP/AIIMR)
- Confident interpreter of financial statements
- Through-cycle experience. We need people who have invested in bad times as well as good
We are keen to be independent of thought, with a low dependency on the broker community for investment ideas. So candidates must be happy working to generate ideas from first principles, rather than acting as a reviewer of sell-side recommendations.
We are not looking for someone to maintain waterfront coverage at a superficial level. Rather we are looking for an analyst who relishes the opportunity of identifying fabulous companies, wherever they find them. The ethos is “search far and wide, then drill down deep when you find an interesting prospect”.