Make Shift designs, builds and manages new public destinations where communities, local entrepreneurs and independent, social business come together to work, learn, grow and collaborate. We make these spaces as affordable as possible, and we actively connect our members with each other and the community around them. So far, we have successfully turned two underused spaces into new destinations for local communities that now house independent and social businesses - Pop Brixton and Peckham Levels - but we're just getting started. Our ambition is to take our proven business model, scale it and turn more underused spaces into community destinations across the UK and beyond.
We believe in self-management and we want to ensure that our flat structure stays flat. People have the power to make their own decisions and we all encourage and empower each other to be the best we can be.
About the Job
We're on the hunt for an outstanding Group Finance Manager to help empower our Finance team and the Project Site teams, Pop Brixton and Peckham Levels. Make Shift is at a pivotal stage in its journey as we expand and we're looking for a leader who can dive in on day one, learn our finances fast, develop strategies and processes, manage our Project Finance Managers and turn Make Shift's group finance into a market leading function.
This job will focus on two major areas. The first one is Make Shift's Project Operations team. Reporting to Make Shift's Project Operations Lead you will work closely with the Project Sites' Finance Managers to ensure they are well supported and achieve their goals, objectives and workplans. The second area is managing Make Shift's group finance. Reporting directly to Make Shift's Managing Director you will be responsible for assisting the development of Make Shift's annual budgets and financial models and ensuring Make Shift hits its financial targets by recommending and implementing strategic initiatives.
Working closely with Make Shift's Project Operations team and the Project Sites' Finance Managers you will be responsible for:
- Managing a team of 2 Project Sites Finance Managers and a Finance Apprentice ensuring they are well supported and achieve their goals, objectives and workplans
- Ensuring our Project Sites' reporting is up to a high standard and delivered on time consistently to investors and senior management
- Develop and implement strategies to improve both Project Sites' and Make Shift's finance function so that it produces high quality, timely and complete information for management
- Work closely with Project Directors to ensure they meet and understand their financial targets
- Support commercial decision making in Make Shift and at our Project Sites through weekly Project Support meetings and initiatives
- Support our Project Sites' Finance Managers with commercial forecasts, financial modelling and commercial recommendations
- Assist the development of Make Shift's annual budgets and financial models working closely with our Managing Director and Financial Analyst
- Ensure Make Shift hits its financial targets by recommending and implementing strategic initiatives
- Track, report and manage Make Shift's budgets and financial decision making
- Working closely with KPMG and our Project Sites' Finance Managers to support the delivery of Project annual accounts, VAT returns and corporation tax returns
- Working closely with our Finance Apprentice and KPMG to produce Make Shift's year end accounts, group accounts, VAT returns and corporation tax returns
- Manage the finances for our new Project Sites until a Project Finance Manager is hired
- Support Make Shift's teams with ad hoc financial analysis
- Ensure our finance functions are compliant with laws and regulations
- You're passionate about our social purpose and what we're trying to do
- You consider yourself to be an excellent finance leader who wants to learn, take on new challenges and help the people around you grow
- You understand how a finance function works, how to improve it and how to implement improvements
- You know how to produce clear, concise and easy to understand management information
- You're not scared of working on multiple projects at the same time whether that be a long term financial strategy for one of our projects, supporting a year end for another or a last-minute investor meeting with our Project Directors or Make Shift Managing Director
- You're analytical, logical, accurate and value attention to detail
- You have excellent Excel skills
- You're an outgoing and clear communicator. You will need to present complex financial information to a non-finance audience in a clear and effective way
- You're passionate about accounting and understand debits and credits clearly
- You understand and have experience in producing year end accounts, VAT returns and corporation tax returns
- You are not afraid to make tough decisions and disagree with more experienced team members
- You have the ability to build effective relationships across our Project Sites and within Make Shift
- You are not afraid of mucking in and working outside your job description to help others
- You relish a fast-paced work environment, can handle pressure and are not afraid to roll your sleeves up
- Experience in the property industry desirable but not essential
- Experience with Xero desirable but not essential
- Professionally qualified (ACA/ACCA/CIMA/CFA)
Term: Permanent with a 3-month probation period
Location: Make Shift's head office in Brixton though you will be expected to travel to our Peckham project on a weekly basis
Working Days and Expected Working Hours: Monday through Friday and approximately 40 hours per week.
Holiday: 25 days plus bank holidays. You also have the option to buy or sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
We are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.