Job Purpose Statement
Our responsible investment team works on a range of specialist responsible investment strategies whilst also providing research to and facilitating ESG integration across mainstream strategies. Globally the business has responsibility for ~US$36billion in responsible investment strategies, reflecting segregated mandates and pooled funds including the US, UK and European Social Bond Funds as well as the Ethical UK Equity strategy. Columbia Threadneedle is a committed signatory to both the UK Stewardship Code and UN sponsored Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) of which we were a founder.
This role offers the opportunity for an experienced analyst to make a key contribution to the global responsible investment team's delivery of effective responsible investment research, analytics and engagement. There is significant scope for ongoing development through the opportunity to participate in all the team's activities and exposure to and training in all aspects of our work would be provided to the successful applicant.
In terms of core responsibilities, the role would require the successful applicant to focus primarily on undertaking engagement and delivering research relating to environmental and social matters. Working in collaboration with international colleagues, portfolio managers and analysts, the successful applicant will have particular responsibility for undertaking engagement to support stewardship activity and preparing original research to support analysis of risk management performance (integrating corporate governance analysis as appropriate). The role will also provide the opportunity to participate in direct engagement with other organisations across the wider investment industry.
The successful candidate will also be required to co-ordinate activity across the EMEA responsible investment team from time to time as required, deputising for the Lead Analyst.
The role would particularly suit an enthusiastic, pro-active self-starter with a passion for both environmental and social issues and the evaluation of associated financial risks and/or opportunities, who ideally has 7+ years' experience of working on responsible investment issues in investment institutions. The individual will need to be a team-player who is at ease working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, interacting regularly with senior colleagues, fund managers and analysts and who is focused on delivering research that meets the needs of the pertinent audience.
- Delivering company level research around responsible investment themes (particularly as regards environmental and social performance) both in the context of equity and fixed income investment, making effective use of third party data sources and broker research
- Developing and implementing an engagement program around environmental and social issues, working in collaboration with colleagues from the team, portfolio managers and analysts.
- Assisting in the screening, monitoring and reviewing of company and portfolio exposures against ESG criteria
- Contributing insight on RI issues to discussions within internal investment meetings, as well as for incorporation in thought leadership pieces, client presentations, RfPs and DDQs
- Participating in corporate and thematic engagement as part of research and stewardship activities
- Planning and delivering RI team activities for designated areas of the investment business as requested and coordinated by the Lead Analyst (EMEA)
- Contributing to work developing tools and analytics for enhancing RI integration
- Assisting as required in proxy voting activity, principally relating to analysis of corporate performance on pertinent environmental and social factors
- Experience of undertaking research of environmental and/or social risk management performance
- Experience of writing for varied audiences
- Awareness of broader ESG issues (relating to governance factors) and cognisant of developing sustainability themes
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience of undertaking corporate engagement to support delivery of responsible investment and/or stewardship objectives
- Experience of working in collaborative/thematic engagement working groups relating to responsible investment
- Good working knowledge of Excel & Powerpoint
- Service focus
- An appreciation of and commitment to servicing the varied objectives and focus of clients, investors and the business
- A willingness to embrace and commit to our values: Client Focus, Excellence, Integrity and Respect
- Experience of supporting responsible investment in practice with reference both to public equities and fixed income
- Experience of coordinating teams to deliver outputs to deadlines
- Interest in developing the relevance, value and integration of RI to meet the needs of our various clients
- Ability to represent the team and organisation in wider industry forums or working groups when relevant
- Professional qualification and/or CFA Charterholder
- Familiarity with data manipulation tools other than Excel e.g. Bloomberg, FactSet, Aladdin
- Familiarity with database creation and management
- Skills in coding (e.g. Excel VBA, Python, R) would be considered very positively
About Columbia Threadneedle Investments
Columbia Threadneedle Investments is a leading global asset manager that provides a broad range of actively managed investment strategies and solutions for individual, institutional and corporate clients around the world. With more than 2000 people including over 450 investment professionals based in North America, Europe and Asia, we manage over £400 billion of assets across developed and emerging market equities, fixed income, asset allocation solutions and alternatives. Our priority is the investment success of our clients. We know investors want strong and repeatable risk-adjusted returns and we aim to deliver this through an active and consistent investment approach that is team-based, risk-aware and performance-driven.